Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi, does anyone know of a tutorial showing how to rig a lamp in motion.

I want a lamp to stay connected to a point, and just move the lamp head around, and the arms should follow…

I get it from lamp foot, and out to the head, but how to do IK…. inverse kinetic, (movie just on the head).

The forward is simple with just two angles for arms, and a third angle for the head…. but it is not a intuitive way of animating….

Mark Spencer

Link one object to a second by placing it’s anchor p0int on the hinge point. You can then rotate that first object from the hinge. Then with both those items in a group, put that group into another group that contains the third object. Move the anchor point of the group containing the two objects to the hinge point on the third object. Repeat as needed.

Mark

Mark Spencer

Adding a response so I can add tags.

fellesmedia

Tanks, Mark, that is what I have done, but it is not IK ?… I would just like to drag the lamp-head and let the rest follow… my problem is that an item can NOT have two connections ? either via link or align to… so I’m stuck with the forward method, like you have described and what I have done…. but I thought it would be possible the other way around as well. Like a real 3D program where you rig it like this…

I have also spoken to a 3D artist that also does AE stuff, and he told me that in 3D he rigs but in AE he goes the forward way. Normally it is not worth the time spent on trying to do it other ways. So I’m good he said 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.